Another week, another opportunity for greatness!
Here is your Core Challenge Workout for today:
- Reverse Crunch – 25
- Opposite Elbow to Knee Crunch – 20
- Plank – 45 seconds
Perform this sequence two times through.
How To Do the Exercises
- Lay on your back with your hands at your side. palms facing down
- Raise your knees and bend them at a 90 degree angle
- Keep your head and shoulders firmly on the ground
- Press your palms into the ground as you lift your hips and roll your knees toward your head
- Slowly roll back to start and repeat
Opposite Elbow to Knee Crunch
- Lay flat on your back, with your knees bent, feet flat on the ground
- Place your left hand behind your head, lay your right arm on the ground, straight out from your body
- Lift your shoulders and head off the ground to engage your abs
- Bring your left elbow and right knee towards each other, meeting at the middle as you exhale and squeeze the elbow and knee together
- Release the tension and bring your upper body back to your starting position (keep your shoulders off the ground) as you extend that right leg straight out
- Repeat 20 times on this side then switch sides.
Modification: Keep knees bent and feet flat on the floor, direct your left elbow towards your knee and return back to start – doing so will reduce stress on lower back
- Hold yourself in the “up” position of a pushup, hands under our slightly in front of your shoulders, fingers spread, apart, pointing forward (do NOT turn your hands toward each other or away from each other).
- Press your feet, knees and thighs together
- Draw your shoulders down away from your ears and engage your shoulder blades so they are slightly pulling toward each other
- Lift your belly up nice and tight, pulling your belly button toward your spine
- Drop your tush a bit so it’s in NOT pointing in the air
- Keep your back straight – don’t drop your belly, tuck it up
- Hold this position for 45 seconds, and breathe.
Modifications for the Plank:
For those with wrist troubles, drop down to your forearms. Please be sure to keep your tush lifted and think about lengthening your spine.
Get on all fours and alternate lifting your left arm straight out and lifting your right leg and pressing it straight behind you. Please keep your neck in neutral (lengthen your spine up to the base of your head and let your eyes gaze softly down to the ground). If you are at this level, we are not doing this for a test – please perform this sequence for 40 seconds with a 20 second break and then repeat it one more time.
Give yourself a huge pat on the back. You are a superstar!
Now go run!