I’m sure you aced our Plank “test” yesterday! I promise that you will see improvement at the end of the Challenge, no matter what your time was.
Here is your Core Challenge Workout for today:
- Oblique Crunches (15 each side)
- Flutter/Scissor Kicks (see note below)
- Plank – 45 seconds
Perform this sequence 2 times through
How To Do the Exercises
- Lay on your back with your hands behind your head, knees bent, feet flat on the ground
- Keeping your shoulders as close to the ground as you can, squeeze your knees together and roll your knees over to the right – as close to the ground as you can (you may not be able to get your knees to touch the ground so if that’s the case, just let them drop as far as they can but still engage your legs by trying to keep your knees close together)
- Try and bring your feet closer to your tush and rest them on the ground
- Keeping your shoulders flat, chest open and elbows out wide, squeeze the left side of your abs (from the top of your ribcage to the top of your hip) and bring your shoulders off the ground about 3 inches.
- This is your finish position. (This means when you bring your shoulders back down, this is as far as they should come. You want to keep your shoulders and head off of the ground the entire exercise.)
- From this position, keep your eyes facing up to the sky and squeeze your abs tight as you lift your chest as high as you can straight up. If you find yourself dropping your chin to your chest as you lift, refocus your eyes to the sky.
- Squeeze and lift nice and high as you exhale, keeping those obliques (this side area that we are working) nice and tight. Release at the top and come back down to your starting point.
- Repeat 15 times on this side.
- After the 15th repetition rest your head and shoulders on the ground, bring your feet flat on the ground with your knees in the center. Now roll those legs over to the left side and do 20 reps, focusing on the right obliques.
Flutter/Scissor Kicks Combination (10 second flutter/10 second scissor – 3 times total)
- Lay on your back with your legs straight out with your hands under your tush
- Tighten your abs and lift your legs in the air, pressing your heels and knees together
- Lower your legs until they are about 12 inches off the ground
- Point your toes and with very straight legs, start flutter kicking
- Instead of flip-flopping your feet around, work from your hip, using your entire leg to move your feet
- Do this for 10 seconds then switch to Scissor Kicks
- Stop fluttering and now you will bring your legs out nice and wide and then bring them to the middle, crossing one leg over the other at the ankle. Bring your legs out nice and wide and bring them in again, switching legs so the opposite leg is now on top. Repeat this scissor action for 10 seconds
- Repeat this pattern for a total of 3 times (or 1 minute)
Note: If this bothers your lower back, keep your feet up about 2 feet from the ground
- Hold yourself in the “up” position of a pushup, hands under our slightly in front of your shoulders, fingers spread, apart, pointing forward
- Press your feet, knees and thighs together
- Draw your shoulders down away from your ears and engage your shoulder blades so they are slightly pulling toward each other
- Lift your belly up nice and tight, pulling your belly button toward your spine
- Drop your tush a bit keeping a nice long spine
- Focus on your belly button, pulling it up towards your spine
- Breathe – Hold position for as long as you can
Modifications for the Plank:
1. For those with wrist troubles, drop down to your forearms. Please be sure to keep your tush lifted and think about lengthening your spine.
2. Get on all fours and alternate lifting your left arm straight out and lifting your right leg and pressing it straight behind you. Please keep your neck in neutral (lengthen your spine up to the base of your head and let your eyes gaze softly down to the ground.
I love hearing from you all so please keep the comments coming!
Now go run!