Making lifestyle changes to improve your health can seem overwhelming. Today I’ve put together 5 simple and surprising things you can do today to improve your health.
1. Move, more often. Early research indicates that being sedentary (during work or in the evening) can be detrimental to your health. EVEN if you participate in daily exercise. So make sure you move around more during your day. If you work in an office schedule a walk break every 45 to 60 minutes, stand while speaking on the phone, deliver information in person instead of sending an email.
2. Drink water. Hydration is a key factor to good health. Water lubricates joints, keeps skin moist and aids in digestion. Dehydration often is mistaken for hunger and can cause overeating. Drinking water also can take the place of calorie-laden juices and soda.
3. Take a nap. Or at least take a rest break for 20-30 minutes every day. Sitting quietly, closing your eyes and having true downtime is a delicious treat you can give yourself. Taking this daily break can re-charge your batteries and provide a needed space in your day for reflection and quiet.
4. Laugh. Out loud. Laughter lightens the mood, releases endorphins and can do wonders for your mood. The Internet is the perfect vehicle for short, funny video clips. Check out “The Landlord” by Will Ferrell or www.comedycentral.com.
5. Eat more fruit and vegetables. Based on a Harvard study, idividuals who ate more than 5 servings of fruits and vegetables per had roughly a 20 percent lower risk of coronary heart disease and stroke, compared with individuals who ate less than 3 servings per day. To make it easier, add fruit as a mid-morning or afternoon snack and an extra vegetable with your lunch or dinner.
So there you go. 5 easy to implement tips to help you get healthier.
Now go run!